Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Service

So I came home thinking that this was a total waste and I was wishing I had bailed out of this little service project. BUT, Craig could not stop laughing at my story and told me I had to write it down, so here goes. (I'm still a little bitter, although I'm starting to see the humor in it..:)

A friend and I decided to go serve a Thanksgiving Feast to some homeless/poor people at a local shelter. It was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving so Craig couldn't come because he was at work. So, I got a sitter for my girls. I still had Summer however and thought they would still let me help, but they said, "what's the baby doing here? You can't help with a baby!" So I told them to work Amanda double hard and I would just wait until Summer's dad picked her up.
In the mean time I decided to mingle and wish people a Happy Thanksgiving...
First I talked to a family that had to get home to pack for their flight to Colorado (???) This made me wonder how you get a ticket to this free Turkey dinner event.
Then, a lady started talking to Summer and I in Chinese. She said something in English, so I asked her about her language and she said that God taught her Chinese, Arabic and Spanish. I asked her if she was Chinese to which she gave me a funny look and said, "honey, I'm BLACK!" Woops. She then started to predict things about my life. She said, "you have 2 children, don't you?" "Yes," I replied. Then really loudly she said, "and your name is Samantha!" Ummm, close... I moved on...
I talked to a family that had a little girl (maybe 11-12) with buck teeth. She LOVED the baby. And she was playing with barbies. Ann Marie.
I really don't want to sound like I'm making fun of people, but Craig told me I wouldn't want to forget these things.
The next lady couldn't stop eating long enough to talk to me. She kept spilling food on her HUGE boobs that were propped on the table, so she'd take a little break to stop and pick all the food off her chest and eat it....

So then I got a call from my friend watching Hope. Apparently Hope hadn't stopped crying. It was time to go. So I bade farewell to the folks there and left shaking my head. I arrived to a very angry Addy because I picked her up just before she was about to eat her favorite meal, Spaghetti. She yelled at me all the way home.

When I arrived home, Paul was there to pick up Summer. Addy was still lecturing me and Hope was throwing a tantrum. I'm sure I looked a pleasant sight.

Craig called at about 9 pm saying he was on his way home. He called back 10 minutes later stating he was stuck in stand-still traffic on the freeway. He got home around 11.
After fuming about the night's events for awhile, I decided I was still going to be grateful for my opportunity to "serve." Craig and I talked on the phone for his LONG commute.
When he got home, we ended up having a good laugh and ate some peanut butter toast to make the day complete (at least I did).


Here is Amanda, working double:)

4 comments:

Susan said...

Good work Aubree! I think you should definitely be proud of the service you did... even if it didn't turn out the way you thought it would. Too bad you didn't get to wear a hair net like your friend though... I would have liked to see a picture of that. :)

Peck Family said...

I second Susan I want to see Aubree with a hair net! LOVED this story. I want to do this for Christmas too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Adam Jensen said...

whoa! that is crazy stuff.

Jennifer Salmon said...

Aubrey, you need to e-mail me so I can give you my blog. My e-mail is vball42381@yahoo.com